Monday, November 23, 2009

Things I learn at work

They are very big on training at my job. But sometimes the things I learn don't exactly fall under training per se. I learn about how some have come long distances and sacrificed much to come to this country. One of my coworkers is from Kenya. Her parents moved her and her siblings here to give them more opportunity. They gave up a lot to be here. I really like hearing her talk. To me, her accent sounds so cool. She is willing to talk about everything under the sun.

Another one of my coworkers has three kids. They are all around my age. She goes through trials, joys and the in-between with them. But through it all she wants the best for them. It is a good lesson to show someone who has not had the courage to have kids yet. With her, everyone who comes through the doors is a possible family member or friend. She fusses at and for them.

I am in awe of my library kids sometimes. They are so curious and so want to help. They are so smart too. They crowd around my station sometimes. Just wanting someone to listen. It is interesting to see the world like they see it.

I had the chance to talk to my coworker about being a parent, buying a house and Christmas. She told me about how her father would write handwritten notes to her and her siblings as from Santa and he would put Santa bootprints around the fireplace. She is somewhat in the same boat as me. Both newlyweds, both renting, both no kids. It is good to talk to someone so alike me and so different. She has been saving up for a house and the where to go from here. She is really helpful and a good example in customer service.

Good day and hi, ho, hi, ho, it's off to work I go.

1 comment:

John Cowart said...

Sounds as though you are being exposed to a wider world.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Love, Dad